In recent weeks, MyClinic has received a number of inquiries regarding the use of homeopathy during an influenza epidemic. The topic is extremely topical, because there are many homeopathic preparations, some of which are widely advertised. And recently, doctors recommend that antibiotics be avoided if possible. On the one hand, there are powerful antibiotics, and on the other hand, there is a tendency to self-medicate, which can not only prevent treatment, but also provoke severe complications. In order to guide you regarding the reception of homeopathic preparations, we offer you an interview with the chairman of the Bulgarian Homeopathic Society, Dr. Petko Zagorchev - co-founder of the European Academy of Clinical Homeopathy in our country, teaches doctors and students at medical universities. He is the chairman of the Central Ethical Medical Commission at the BLS, head of the intensive care unit at the Shumen hospital, anesthesiologist and specialist in intensive care medicine, toxicologist.
Dr. Zagorchev, we know how severe the flu infection is in many cases. Can homeopathic preparations have an effect in prevention and treatment?
- Influenza infections are a suitable terrain for treatment by homeopathy, despite the extremely severe course in some cases, especially with avian and swine flu-type strains. We have already experienced them, but we cannot be sure that even now the whirling strains will not be so severe, since we have not yet gained the necessary clinical experience. Before I answer your question, I will try to explain in an accessible way how the body's immune system meets the invasion of influenza viruses. Basically, this happens with a standard response from her side, as she begins to synthesize the so-called pro-informer and anti-informer interleukins. I immediately open a bracket to explain that these are a type of protein on which the functioning of the immune system depends to a very large extent. Normally, when the immune response is adapted, synchronized with the severity of the infection and with the threat of viral aggression, the levels of these interleukins are such that the body maintains a balance. The immune system basically destroys the infected cells and prevents the virus from replicating.
And when and why the immune system can't cope, the immune response can't adapt as you say
- In previous years, strains appeared, figuratively speaking, unknown to the immune system in younger people. I am talking about the bird flu and especially the swine flu that was around in the period 2009-2011. For this reason, in most cases in young people, the flu infection was extremely severe. Especially in those with metabolic syndrome, in pregnant women who always have a significantly altered immune response, in diabetic patients…
They are the risk groups, right?
- Not just from the risk groups. I'm talking about a specific contingent, because if we take all the risk groups, we have to mention the immunocompromised patients, the COPD patients and those with heart failure… It turned out that they are not as much at risk as these young people were, which I mentioned to you at the beginning. In them, the immune system response can be exaggerated. They unfortunately,
destroying infected cells
destroy the so-called nodular epithelium. This was the reason for reaching nodular effusions without the presence of a bacterial causative agent. I mention it because bacterial pathogens have a good sensitivity to antibiotics, they are affected by them. Therefore, we cannot in any way explain the extremely severe course of these conditions.
With homeopathic medicines, we can model this immune response and have it within the limits of what is adequate for the body. But necessarily strictly tailored to the individual immune response of each organism, as they can be safely administered simultaneously with antiviral agents such as Tamiflu and Relenza.
And will you indicate which homeopathic medicines are suitable, because it is no secret that a variety of them are advertised, sometimes by dubious "suppliers"?
- First of all I will mention the already known medicine Oscillococcinum. It is produced from the liver and heart of a wild duck, which is involved in the circulation of this type of virus in the world. In fact, this preparation, figuratively speaking, provides minimal but sufficient information to the body to activate its reactive self-recovery capabilities. Also suitable is the preparation Influencinum 9СH and 15СH, which is produced by
pasteur institute homeopathic-diluted vaccine
for the influenza strains with the corresponding epidemic that is expected. Homeopathic medicines are diverse because they are strictly specialized and individualized not with the type of flu infection itself, but with the patient's reaction.
But in all cases a consultation with a homeopath specialist is necessary?
- Required. He can match the patient's condition with those medications that best correspond, figuratively speaking, to the picture being observed. Just as no two patients suffer from the flu in exactly the same way, so each medication has its own little personality to be compatible with the patient.
And one last question: can homeopathic medicines be combined with antibiotics?
- They can be combined with antibiotics if needed, they can be combined with antivirals, we have already said about them. They do not oppose each other, and this complex approach practically implies a faster recovery of patients. However, it is desirable not to resort to antibiotics in the first phase. If the flu condition and research show that it is necessary, antibiotics from the Augmentin group and Clarithromycin group are usually used. They are completely sufficient to cover the body's needs. I want to conclude by pointing out something very important and telling: keep in mind that massive antibiotic therapy usually backfires. It leads to the selection of either microbial agents that are resistant to antibiotics or fungal infections.