The head of the Medical Academy-Sofia Prof. Nikolay Petrov made a report on the management of the hospital to the Minister of He alth and Defense. "What we saw from the presentation of Gen. Petrov, it is really impressive - through clear results we understood what good management of such a huge structure is. If we are talking about a reform carried out in a hospital, then it is a fact here. I didn't see a cut in wages, in quality, I saw a cut in costs. A military hospital is the best managed he alth facility," said He alth Minister Petar Moskov.
Prof. Petrov, since you have been head of the hospital, has there been any external intervention to reduce costs?
- Definitely, yes, there was. The Minister of Defense is aware of every lev that goes in and out of the hospital. I was extremely stressed and scared when I took over the leadership of the Academy. First, because of the frightening numbers of the debt of arrears - BGN 112 million. There were more than 11 realized court seizures. In my first week, we had a lien for 6.5 million from the Treasury, given that we earn 3.5 million BGN per month from it. This meant closing the hospital!
So far, debts have been reduced by 20 million and you expect them to be reduced by another 20 million by the end of the year…
- Yes, they are embedded in our program.
Will there be layoffs at the hospital?
- There will be no, restructuring will be done. Units that are profitable, treat more patients, have more income, will be developed at the expense of those that do not have good indicators.
You mentioned that inefficient structures will become trading companies…
- Most likely 2 will come out as commercial companies. But it should be clear not only how much they are profitable or losing, but also how much debt they have. And how much will it cost the budget if the people there have to be compensated.
Do you have frozen accounts?
- We don't have any at the moment, but as far as I know there are a few in the works that aren't shocking. A lien for BGN 20,000 is not like the one for BGN 6.5 million! Our debt is currently BGN 103 million, overdue - BGN 95 million. Our debt has decreased by BGN 27 million!