“Swelling of the lower limbs, like pain, is a universal response of the body to various irritants and disease states. In overweight patients, edema may be due to stagnation of lymphatic fluid in the subcutaneous tissue for several reasons. First of all, it is the limited motor mode in these patients. Often they are immobilized, and in the most severe cases they cannot even sleep in a lying position - the so-called develops. dangling leg syndrome. They may also suffer from an arthritic disease, sometimes combined with inflammatory exacerbations of the joint disease, which can additionally lead to swelling in the tissues", warns specialist rheumatologist Prof. Dr. Zlatimir Kolarov
Where does this lymphatic stasis accumulate, Prof. Kolarov, and why does it happen?
- In the most severe cases, the lymphatic stasis is so great that the lymphatic fluid accumulates in the lower legs as irreversible edema, which leads to skin changes such as roughening, reddening with itching, and leakage of lymph through the pores of the skin. The draining lymph often becomes infected and leads to skin infections such as impetigo, erysipelas - the so-called red wind, etc
The most common causes of edema in overweight patients are the presence of varicose veins or chronic venous insufficiency of the extremities. In these patients, drastic changes in the dietary regimen are often observed, associated with a reduced amount of protein in food, excessive use of s alt, etc., which increase the risk of edema. Here we must not forget the so-called lipedema. It is an accumulation of fatty tissue in the thighs and especially in the lower legs and around the ankles in overweight and sometimes normal weight patients. This kind of cellulite deforms the contour of the leg and especially the ankle and mimics edema.
Are there factors that contribute to the development of the disease?
- Ha paзвитиeтo нa пaтoлoгиятa влияят няколко фактора - нacлeдcтвeн фaктop, съpдeчнocъдoви зaбoлявaния, нapyшaвaнe нa фyнкциятa нa бъбpeцитe, пpoблeми c кpъвooбpaщeниeтo, вeнoзнa нeдocтaтъчнocт, инфeкции, зacягaщи лимфнитe възли, както и слyчaйни тpaвми, изгapяния или пpeтъpпeни oпepaции, също and the already mentioned oncological diseases.
How do you treat the disease?
- The main symptom is the large swelling, which is often the result of oncological surgery or radiation therapy. Usually, when a malignant tumor is detected in the breast or in the cervical region, the doctors try to remove the tumor from the surrounding lymph nodes. Due to this cause, the patients are still alive
abnormal elevation of the hands and lid
They also observe ticks, ticks, elevated temperature, general malaise, periodic bacterial or fungal infections. Koжaтa ce нaбpъчквa кaтo пpи цeлyлит и знaчитeлнo ce yдeбeлявa, пoкpивa ce c нoвooбpaзyвaния, пoдoбни нa бpaдaвици, възниквa чyвcтвo зa нaпpeжeниe, тeжecт, пoявявa ce cтpaничнa гънкa нa cгъвкaтa нa cтъпaлoтo или нa лaкътя. The late stage significantly enlarges the mass of the infected peduncle, covers wet sores, which sometimes bleed. That is why it is imperative to see a specialist in phlebology as soon as the first signs of the disease appear. After confirming the diagnosis, the specialist will prescribe the appropriate treatment.
What else besides medication does the treatment of this edema involve?
- It is mandatory to observe a correct hygienic and dietary regimen. It includes placing the feet above the level of the body at rest, even at night - the so-called declining position. Physical activity should be increased with walking, running, cycling and exercises to move the calf muscle pump.
The diet should include sufficient proteins, limiting table s alt to 3-4 grams per day, fruits and vegetables. The intake of sufficient liquids is mandatory - water, tea and fruit juices about 2 liters per day.
It is helpful to wear elastic socks or pantyhose
In more severe cases, physiotherapy should also be carried out. Reducing body weight will in all cases improve the condition or even eliminate the problem. In cases of lipedema, the wearing of elastic stockings or underwear is applied, as well as aesthetic surgical procedures such as suction of excess subcutaneous fat, liposuction.
What type of wallpaper is the most effective?
- The therapy of lymphostasis is aimed at restoring the normal functioning of the lymphatic system. However, only the complex approach can prevent this problem. These are the medications that work to improve the microcirculation of fluids in the tissues. 3. To remove excess fluids, they prescribe diuretics, and to relieve the inflammatory process - antibiotics. If there is eczema somewhere on the body, they also prescribe special ointments.
Compressive knitting is very important - in order to prevent the development of lymphostasis, the phlebologist helps the patient to remove compressive socks or tights. With the help of this knitting, the folded ends and the flow of the time restore the normal form.
Physiotherapy - what is its role in this disease?
lymphatic massage or pecotherapy -
The procedure is aimed at removing the accumulated liquids from the organism. It consists in the use of special cuffs, which affect the dense air inside the closed ball.
Remedial physical therapy gives very good results - the carefully selected set of exercises allows the reduction of swelling and the restoration of the lymphatic flow. For example, the hands will be useful for forward circular movements of the shoulder blade back and forth. 3rd restoration of the lymphatic edema of the lid can be done by ice - lie down on the floor, lift the lid at an angle of 90 degrees, then take the "Bpeza" pose, and after a few moments, the lower back is lowered. They sing 15 such songs every day.
Does surgery have a place in this disease?
- If the conception tepapy does not give the result, then it is passed to the issuing of the conclusion for the purpose of the preservation of the prediction of surgical intervention. This procedure consists in the creation of circulation paths for the daily movement of the lymph. However, this procedure is only performed if the options for conservative treatment have been ineffective because it is a complex operation. Before the intervention, the patient's risk due to possible co-morbidities must be taken into account.
Modern medicine offers the latest and most effective methods of treating lymphostasis of the limbs, which helps in 100% of cases. Among them is the laser method, which includes simultaneous intravenous laser irradiation of the blood and laser irradiation of certain parameters of the affected limb. The course of treatment lasts 10-14 days. Swelling reduction is visible within 5-6 days, with full recovery possible.
Good care prevents the problem
► If you suffer from lymphatic stasis, move a lot
► Improve circulation with elementary exercises - 20 times clench the hand into a fist and relax, 20 times fold and unfold the foot.
► Wear compression bandages if you have to stand or sit in one place for a long time.
► Apply a cream, lotion or body oil to the skin every day, as the skin stretched by swelling has a disturbed trophism and becomes drier and more vulnerable to inflammation.
► Compresses with calendula decoction, as well as drinking tea from the plant are also helpful.